Friday 6 December 2013

Moving, what a joy!

The Glass is Mostly Full..


I've been working for a company I'm exceptionally happy with, my days begin and end with a smile on my face.  Much, MUCH different than the last job I had.  Stress that had pretty much incapacitated me from my previous job is now a fairly distant memory.  Unfortunately, I'd moved to be closer to that job...which meant my new job was over an hour commute each way.  Not terrible, but during the winter it can be a lousy drive, especially after a long day when you'd just like to get home.

After a year of that commuting, I found a place much closer to my work.  It's almost perfect.  Large, country estate surrounded by farmer's fields.  Fantastic landlord.  Roomy apartment.  More room than I need, but the price is fantastic.  2 friendly dogs that have adopted me as their new pet.  Almost perfect... the only access to the internet is through Satellite.  I've tried logging in, but the signal to my apartment is too weak to give me anything other than a 'limited' connection.  Even my smartphone only gets spotty access, or I'd be using it as a WIFI hotspot until I get things going.  

So...World of Warcraft is impossible to play for the time being.  It's been almost a week since I last logged on to my account.  This is actually the longest period I've not played.  It's strange, but it's given me some time to play some older, forgotten games while I figure out what it's going to take to get myself up to speed, literally, with my net connection.  

In the meantime, here's to some time spent enjoying older classics like Heroes of Might and Magic II, and Civilization II.  Yes...older.  Friends who helped me moved asked why I held on to old desktops (I moved 7 of them with me this time).  This is the reason.   You never know when you want that old program that just won't work on your newer Windows Vista, 7, 8, whatever.  I've got machines going back to Windows 3.1.  Sure, you can always bring your data forward on CD's or DVD's... but try to run AutoCad R14 on anything higher than Windows XP, you're screwed.  

Starting this blog a week before I moved, well, sometimes you just don't see into the future clearly.  Ah well, I can at least take some time at work to jot down some Wanderings here and there.  I'd have like to taken Shawn's advice from http://eightyearsinazeroth.blogspot.ca/  but to blog everyday requires time and access.  Time I have...access... not so much.

Wylset



No comments:

Post a Comment